Court Network’s new telephone service
27 May 2020
From today, Court Network will provide free, confidential support, non-legal information and referral via telephone for all court users.
Court Network is a free, confidential community service provided by volunteers.
Victims, witnesses, accused, family and friends can now access Court Network’s new telephone service by calling 1800 571 239 during business hours Monday to Friday.
The Court Network Telephone Service will, as much as possible, replicate the current face-to-face service (with some limitations) and assist callers in the following ways:
- provide support and information about what happens before, during or after court
- explain how the courts and legal systems operate
- inform court users about how to best contact various courts and tribunals
- assist court users to get the help they need to address their safety issues
- help to arrange access to a secure room if required
- provide court users with up-to-date information on new arrangements for court since coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions commenced
- provide court users with referrals to legal services in their area
- refer court users to services to assist them to fill out and submit orders and paperwork
- talk to court users on their day of court either before or after their matter has been heard
- help court users to understand the next steps that they might have to take
- refer court users to an appropriate service that could assist them with issues such as housing, domestic violence and mental health.
If successful, the service will be maintained after COVID-19 restrictions lift to complement Court Network services on an ongoing basis.