Teachers and Students
Booking Arrangements: Year 11 and 12 Court Visits
The County Court encourages teachers and students to visit the Court (Melbourne) to learn about court proceedings.
All bookings for students in Years 11 and 12 must be made through the Courts Services Victoria website. Book a tour now.
County Court criminal and civil proceedings are open to the public, other than in exceptional circumstances when a judge orders otherwise. Members of the public may visit the Court (and anywhere in Victoria where the Court sits) to observe hearings.
You should take note of the following requirements when attending:
- Enquire at reception inside the main entrance of the building as to the hearings being conducted on the day of your visit;
- The building is open between 8am and 6.30pm;
- You must turn off your mobile phone before entering a courtroom;
- Electronic devices such as laptops and tablets cannot be used by members of the public in court;
- You are not allowed to take cameras or recording devices into a courtroom;
- Food and drinks are not to be consumed in a courtroom;
- Ensure you are suitably dressed.
Requesting a judge to visit your school
Pending Court commitments, judges are available to speak to VCE Legal Studies students at their school. Teachers please complete the form attached below.
- Note: The County Court is not accepting applications for work experience placements for 2017 as the court calendar is fully booked. All enquiries and applications for work experience should be directed to email@example.com.
To make an application for work experience at the County Court you must provide the following documents:
Written authorisation from your school Work Experience Co-ordinator.
A completed County Court Work Experience Request form (secondary students) OR Work Experience Placement form (University/TAFE students)
Forms are available to apply for work experience and request a judge to address VCE Legal Studies class.
About the County Court (Victoria Law Foundation - County Court co-publication)