Business hours contact

For general enquiries please contact (03) 8636 6510.

Concerns about a law or policy

The Court is unable to respond to concerns or questions about the law. Judges apply the law; they do not make it. The Court is also unable to comment on government policy. Such concerns should be directed to the relevant government Minister or to your local Member of Parliament.

Concerns about a decision

The Court cannot address concerns about a decision by a judge. Such concerns can only be determined by way of a formal appeal process, which may or may not be available to a party. Legal advice should be sought in relation to this. 

Complaints about judicial officers or VCAT members

From 1 July 2017, complaints about the conduct or capacity of Victorian judicial officers or VCAT members may be made to the Judicial Commission of Victoria. The Commission is an independent organisation established under the Judicial Commission of Victoria Act 2016 to investigate complaints about judicial officers and VCAT members. The Commission provides an accessible and transparent complaint process which aims to ensure public confidence in Victorian courts and the VCAT is maintained.

Who can make a complaint to the Commission?

A member of the public or the legal profession can make a complaint by filling out the online complaint form available from the Commission's website:

The Law Institute of Victoria and Bar Association can also refer complaints on behalf of their members without disclosing the identity of the complainant.

Which judicial officers can I complain about?

The Commission can investigate complaints about the following judicial officers and VCAT members:

  • a judge of the Supreme Court of Victoria;
  • a judge of the County Court of Victoria;
  • a magistrate of the Magistrates' Court of Victoria;
  • a magistrate of the Children's Court of Victoria;
  • a coroner of the Coroners Court of Victoria;
  • a judicial registrar of the Supreme Court, the County Court, the Magistrates' Court, the Children's Court or the Coroners Court; or
  • a VCAT member.

What type of complaints can the Commission investigate?

The Commission cannot investigate the correctness of a decision made by a judicial officer or VCAT member - it is not a substitute for the appeals process. The Commission's role is to investigate complaints about the capacity or conduct of judicial officers or VCAT members. For example, complaints about inappropriate conduct in court or matters which may affect the performance of the officer's function.

The Commission cannot investigate complaints about federal courts or tribunals, such as the Family Court and AAT, nor can it investigate complaints about court or VCAT staff.

What happens after the Commission receives your complaint?

Once the Commission has received and considered a complaint, it will take one of three actions:

  1. Dismiss the complaint (for example, if it is vexatious, or relates solely to the correctness of a legal decision);
  2. Refer to the complaint to the relevant head of jurisdiction with recommendations about the future conduct of the officer; or 
  3. If it is a very serious allegation, refer it to an investigating panel appointed by the Commission, which may recommend that the officer or VCAT member be removed from office.

The Commission will advise the outcome of any complaint in writing.

How can I contact the Commission?

Phone: (03) 9604 2420

Fax: (03) 9604 2422

Postal address:

Judicial Commission of Victoria
GPO Box 4305
Melbourne VIC 2001



Complaints about court staff or facilities

The County Court values the feedback it receives through the complaints process as it provides the Court with information to improve the quality of its services.

Complaints may be made in respect of:

  • the conduct of administrative, support and registry staff
  • processes and procedures
  • court facilities.

All complaints made in writing should identify the date, time, place and subject of the complaint. Complaints involving a person should include the name of the person, where possible.

Complaints may be sent to:

Audit & Risk Manager
County Court of Victoria
250 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone: 8636 6585